Saturday, March 15, 2008

IF - heavy


"Whiskers was heavy and didn't like being picked up too much, but Chloe didn't care, she carried him around whenever she got the chance."

My entry for this week's Illustration Friday with the theme of "heavy". The little girl and cat are based on a photo of my daughter when she was about 4, carrying our old cat around. That poor cat was drug all over the place - she put up with though, maybe she liked it more than she let on! The text in the background is a page from Alice in Wonderland where Alice is having a conversation with the Cheshire Cat. I wanted a subtle background that had to do with cats, but was also related to children, so I thought it was a fun choice.



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i know so many nurturing little girls like that, and they pick up my sons! too cute!

a : )

Unknown said...

oh how sweet...my brother's sister in law has a huge cat.....nice work and I love your new banner...

Hanna said...

haha, you did too, that's hilarious!

Honor said...

This is gorgeous! I was doing this this morning with my chubby cat. Is he crying? So cute. (I had to steal Maukie too) ;-)

Anonymous said...

How cute is your cat. I love the way you use text in the background. Especially Alice in Wonderland. I love Alice in Wonderland.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thefridayfrog said...

wonnnnderful new look here, nina! :))) love the banner and this MONSTRO kitty! lookit you go! :))

Anagc3 said...

heavy Cat!lovely!

marcisenders said...

Oh...I love yours! The patterns are great and really work well. The expression in the cat's face is priceless.

I am not sure what Beano is...I am thinking its close to Bingo. I should do some research.

Bee said...

Nice composition, like your choice of colours and textures in this lovely scene.

arianna said...

thanks for your comment!
and i think your illo is cute to! i love the way she takes the little cat :)

Aspa said...

Wonderful illustration. Great illo and I specially like the use of text in the background.

Roberta said...

Terrific choice.
I have one of those large cats too!!!

Anonymous said...

Is there anything cuter than a really fat cat? Maybe just a little girl carrying it around :) This is so adorable, and the text on the background was a really nice touch

Eric said...

I really like the depth that using the passage from Alice in Wonderland has added to this fun piece.

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

How adorable that kitty. Great illustration :o)

NANCY LEFKO said...

great !!! love the choice of background...

Angela Matteson said...

I like your use of patterns. Cute illustration!

lil kim said...

gorgeous, love the use of collage.